The biofuel industry is rapidly growing, and as it does, it’s essential to address the safety and efficiency of loading and unloading these potentially hazardous materials. Traditional fluid transfer methods are often associated with risks of spills, leaks, and accidents, posing threats to both workers and the environment. However, Northern Platforms offers a solution that addresses these concerns head-on: OPW truck loading arms. Keep reading to find out more about these innovative loading arms.
Types of Biofuels
Before delving into the advantages of Northern Platforms’ truck loading arms, it’s crucial to understand the biofuels they are designed to handle. Biofuels are renewable fuels manufactured from various sources, including vegetable oil, animal fats, and recycled restaurant grease, as well as soybean, corn, and canola oils. There are three common types of biofuels:
- Biodiesel: Biodiesel is typically blended with conventional diesel to optimize performance, ranging from B5 (5% biodiesel) to B100 (100% biodiesel). It shares similar properties with conventional diesel but offers a more environmentally friendly alternative.
- Renewable Diesel: Unlike biodiesel, renewable diesel is chemically identical to regular diesel and can be used at 100% concentration (not blended) in standard diesel engines. It’s known as a “drop-in diesel” and offers improved cold-weather performance and environmental benefits.
- Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF): SAF is used to power jet aircraft and can be produced from various biomass sources, with yellow grease (waste vegetable oil and animal fats) being a particularly low-carbon option. SAF reduces carbon emissions and can be blended with traditional jet fuel, potentially reducing the carbon lifecycle by up to 50%.
Importance of Loading Safety
The safety of your staff and the environment is of the utmost importance when dealing with hazardous materials like biofuels. The loading and unloading of these substances from tanker trucks can pose severe risks to both personnel and the environment. Spills, leaks, and emissions must be minimized to protect workers and prevent harm to the surroundings. Fortunately, Northern Platforms’ truck loading arms are here to ensure the safety and efficiency of your chemical loading processes.
Truck Loading Arms: What to Consider
Northern Platforms’ inventory of OPW Engineered Systems‘ products offers a comprehensive line of dry disconnect equipment, including Drylok™, Kamvalok®, and Epsilon®, suitable for various hazardous liquid applications. By minimizing the risk of spills, leaks, and emissions, loading arms combined with these dry disconnects significantly reduce hazards, ensuring a safer working environment. Moreover, these dry disconnect couplings are proven to be successful in protecting workers and the environment when transferring hazardous materials, including biofuels. They significantly reduce the risk of accidental spillage and enhance safety.
When it comes to loading arms for handling biofuels, several critical considerations must be taken into account:
- Loading Method: Are you splash loading to the atmosphere, or is it a closed-loop loading with vapour recovery? The loading arm must be selected to suit the specific loading method.
- Material Compatibility: Understanding the compatibility of the loading arm and seal kits with the biofuel is crucial to prevent chemical reactions that could lead to leaks or spills.
- Criticality of Application: Assess the level of hazard associated with the biofuel. Is it a potentially life-threatening application, or is it less hazardous? Your choice of loading arm should align with the criticality of the application.
When selecting the right loading arm for your specific application, the experts at Northern Platforms have you covered! Our knowledgeable team can visit your site to evaluate your requirements and challenges, ensuring that the loading arm chosen aligns perfectly with your needs and guarantees a safe and efficient biofuel handling process.
Find the Truck Loading Arms You Need at Northern Platforms
The biofuel industry’s expansion necessitates a focus on safety and efficiency in the truck loading and unloading processes. OPW loading arms offered by Northern Platforms are the ideal solution, providing precise control, automation, and emergency shutdown systems to minimize risks associated with handling potentially hazardous biofuels. By choosing these loading arms, you can ensure the safety of your employees and protect the environment, making the biofuel sector safer and more efficient.
Contact Northern Platforms to find out more about our inventory of OPW truck loading arms.